CCDC/IUCr Journals proposal 3: Add audit_support category

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 03:20:46 GMT 2020

I am a strong believer in IDs...

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:02 AM James Hester <jamesrhester at gmail.com> wrote:

> My comments: I see nothing controversial here. Regarding research
> organisation IDs, if the number of possible identifiers looks like it might
> grow, rather than define a dataname for every new id issuer, an alternative
> approach would be to have a plain 'organisation id' and then 'org_id_type',
> where the latter is drawn from an enumerated list of the various sources of
> identifiers and explains how to interpret the 'organisation id'.  Of course
> this makes it impossible to attach more than one id to a given organisation.
>
> There are an emerging number of ID providers, and we can use them as
primary links. My favourite starting point is Wikidata, but also Crossref
has a growing list of organizations (over 10000). But part of the problem
is that many authors report at different levels - university, department,
even laboratory. I expect this will get more regularized and curated over
the next few years but it will always be somewhat messy.

P.

--
"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069