Release of the cif_core_restraints dictionary and superscript mark up

David Brown idbrown at mcmaster.ca
Thu May 26 18:55:04 BST 2011

Matthew,

In CIF the only restrictions on a text field are related to the use use
of delimiters.  If no delimiters are used, characters such as white
space are clearly not allowed since white space is the default
delimiter.  ', " and [CR]; are allowed delimiters, and clearly whichever
delimiter is used to open the text field cannot be used within the text
field.  The other special characters were all developed by the editorial
office in Chester for the purposes of typesetting and are not part of
the CIF standard and are not subject to CIF control.  CIF allows other
typesetting conventions consistent with the above restrictions, see for
example section 24 (Embedded symantics) of the 'common semantic
features' document.  This section is referred to in the following
section 25 'CIF conventions for special characters in text'.  I believe
even Acta Cryst recongizes TEX when it appears, suitable labelled, in a
text field, though I don't know if it is ever used.

David