[SA_Scat] Neutrons and Food 2018

stephen.king at stfc.ac.uk stephen.king at stfc.ac.uk
Sat Aug 19 02:26:28 BST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Following the success of previous meetings in Sydney, Delft, Paris and Lund, we are pleased to announce that Neutrons and Food will be returning to Sydney next year on 16th – 19th October 2018.

The meeting will be held in the heart of Darling Harbour which forms part of our larger Sydney Harbour, recognised as one of the world’s most beautiful waterways. Darling Harbour is Sydney’s most exciting entertainment precinct and only moments from the heart of Sydney’s city centre. It offers multiple accommodation, entertainment and transport options including fine restaurants, museums, a retail marketplace and outdoor entertainment venues.

With neutron scattering remaining at its core, we also wish to extend and showcase nuclear-based techniques more broadly and how they are increasingly being employed. Such examples include neutron activation analysis and isotopic fingerprinting techniques for authenticity and traceability to combat food fraud. It is recognised that neutron methods are often applied in concert with other complementary measurement methods, including X-ray and light scattering, and such contributions where food materials are the focus are warmly invited.

The conference welcomes participants and contributions from the wide community of food science and product development, food packaging, and nutrition, as well as exponents of nuclear-based methods including scattering. In particular we intend to have a mixture of talks from food scientists and technologists with problems where scattering methods may be applicable, as well as talks from those already using scattering and other nuclear-based methods. We also anticipate the opportunity for one-on-one discussions to provide advice on specific problems as well as pre-conference presentations on what some of the techniques have to offer the food science community.

Further details are available on the conference website – www.neutronsandfood.net<http://www.neutronsandfood.net>

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sydney.

Prof Elliot Paul Gilbert
Lead, Food Materials Science;
Instrument Scientist, QUOKKA (Small-Angle Neutron Scattering)
Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
Tel +61 2 9717 9470
Email elliot.gilbert at ansto.gov.au
Web www.ansto.gov.au/acns/<http://www.ansto.gov.au/acns/>

Honorary Professor,
The Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology and
Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation,
The University of Queensland