[SA_scat] about RAT and Fixed tube x-ray generator

s henderson sjh73070 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 16:04:57 BST 2011

Choosing between rotating anodes and sealed sources:

the issues of beam stability and power consumption are minor issues
in this regard.  It sounds like you are building your own from
components.

1.  the main plus for RA's is high flux for a given brightness.

2.  stability of RA's is not bad - a beam monitor, or other methods
    can compensate here.

3.  running costs (electricity) are higher, but maintenance costs
    are a much bigger issue here.  Consumables and breakdown costs
    are major items.  The engineering on RA's could be improved a LOT,
    but they are what they are.

4.  the capital cost difference, excluding microsources, is about 4x

5.  commercial companies (Rigaku, etc) offer all three choices:  RA,
    std sealed sources, microsources and can give you relative
    performances.

6.  there is no real substitute for checking actual performance
    yourself.  Try and visit somewhere that has what you want to buy
    and use it before using funds.

Stephen Henderson