[SA_scat] LENS SANS Workshop -- 1st Announcement.

King, SM (Stephen) stephen.king at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 16:07:06 GMT 2008

LENS SANS Workshop

Friday 5 December, 2008

Dear Colleague,

The Low Energy Neutron Source (LENS) at the Indiana University Cyclotron Facility is pleased to announce that construction of LENS is completed.  The source and the SANS (Small Angle Neutron Scattering) Instrument are both operational, and the source is ramping up to full power.  A second instrument, SESAME (Spin-Echo Scattering Angle Measurement), is under construction and expected to be on-line by late Spring of 2009.

SANS is a technique that measures small scattering angles due to small inhomogeneitis in the sample and allows probing structures on a length scale of 20 – 1000 Ǻ.  Because of the advantage of contrast variation through H/D substitution, SANS is particularly useful for studying hydrogenous systems, i.e. biological macromolecules, polymers, microemulsions, etc.  SESAME uses the spin echo technique to determine the angle through which neutrons are scattered by a sample.  It can be used to carry out reflectometry experiments as well as simple transmission (SANS) measurements.  It is expected to be able to measure correlations over distances between a few 10’s of nanometers and 1-2 microns.  Details about the two instruments and the performance of the source can be found on the web http://www.iucf.indiana.edu/lens/instruments.php. Proposals from users wishing to perform SANS measurements can be submitted from the website http://www.iucf.indiana.edu/sans/beamtime.php at any time.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to a LENS SANS Workshop at the Indiana University Cyclotron Facility (IUCF), Bloomington, Indiana, on Friday December 5th, 2008, 9:00 – 17:00, and introduce potential users, who are primarily located at universities in our region, to the capabilities of SANS.  We hope to encourage the discussion of new important and exciting scientific problems that could be addressed with our instruments as well as developing, in collaboration with regional partners, neutron scattering education opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students not already associated with the facility.  The user science program philosophy and beam time application procedure will be discussed.

At present we are in the process of drawing up the program for the meeting and the information/registration form.  If you are interested in attending, please send an e-mail to helkaise at indiana.edu.

I hope to see you there.

With best wishes

Helmut Kaiser.