[SA_scat] USANS Opportunities at NIST

JDB Science LLC jdbscience at mac.com
Fri Sep 10 20:17:41 BST 2004

USANS Opportunities at NIST
from Paul Butler

For those of you who may not be on the NIST mailing list, I thought I'd
pass on that the next call for proposals is out with a deadline of Sep
23,
2004.  Proposals are accepted online at www.ncnr.nist.gov.  As a
reminder,
NIST proposal time is open to the best scientific proposals and does not
have any "member country" requirements.

Besides the excellent 30m SANS instrument (75% of time on one and 25% on
another) I would like to draw your attention to the less well known
USANS
instrument which is also available in this call with 67% of its time
available to proposals.  It currently has the highest flux available
worldwide and is a dedicated instrument with a high signal/noise ratio.
It was specially constructed with the needs of the community in mind and
includes an option for large sample environments such as cryostats and
Couette shear cell measurements.  The large momentum transfer (Q) range
overlaps significantly with the SANS Q range while providing a minimum Q
of ~ 3x10-5 Å-1, a factor of 20 smaller than that achievable with
30m-SANS
instruments.  This instrument is particularly suitable for the large
number of studies which show increasing intensity at the lowest Q
achievable with SANS.  More information is available at the following
url:
http://www.ncnr.nist.gov/instruments/usans/  Feel free to contact the
instrument scientists listed there for help.

Paul Butler
Macromolecular and Microstructure Science Team Leader
NIST

                             Paul D. Butler

Paul Butler
NIST cnr