[SA_scat] Software issues

Paul Butler butler at nist.gov
Sun Dec 19 22:16:11 GMT 2004

Dear fellow small angle scatterers,

We are writing to ask for your help in developing a next generation SANS
software package.  We aim to develop an integrated platform and toolset
for SANS data analysis that will provide users at current and next
generation facilities with the advanced analysis and modeling capabilities
required to drive the development of their science.  We've set up a web
based poll to help us clarify some of the needs and priorities.  This poll
can be accessed at:  http://danse.cacr.caltech.edu/polls/survey.php?sid=21
This should take less than 10 minutes to complete and we'd very much
appreciate your input.  Of course direct email correspondence is also
welcome - please send comments to butler at nist.gov, and feel free to pass
this along to anyone who may be interested.  More information on the DANSE
project itself (of which this SANS project is a sub project) can be
obtained at: http://wiki.cacr.caltech.edu/danse/index.php/Main_Page

For those who would like more information here we provide the following:

With three major neutron scattering facility projects currently under way
on three continents (SNS in the US, the second target station at ISIS, and
J-Park, the Japanese SNS) an unprecedented opportunity for major software
collaboration exists.   To harness that opportunity the three major
projects have formed a loose consortium called NeSSI (Neutron Scattering
Software Initiative) with significant contributions from other established
sources such as IPNS, NIST, HFIR, LANSCE, PSI etc.  This group is
establishing consensus, defining basic standards and frameworks, and
identifying point people and teams for all software related issues at the
facilities.  Among other things, NeSSI participants are adopting the NeXus
standard for neutron and X-ray scattering data formats being defined by
the international NeXus committee, making the facility at which the data
were taken transparent to the analysis software.   Within this context,
DANSE (Distributed data Analysis for Neutron Scattering Experiments) is an
independent project led out of Caltech to provide a new framework for all
neutron scattering instruments at SNS and extensible to any facility.  As
such it must conform to the SNS requirements documents and NeSSI standards
and agreements.  In return it is expected that analysis efforts at other
NeSSI facilities will be able to integrate to some extent with DANSE.  The
DANSE framework attempts to harness the latest computer technologies to
provide state of the art software analysis tools.   DANSE is composed of a
core services effort and five instrument specific sub-efforts in the areas
of inelastic scattering, SANS, diffraction, reflectivity, and engineering
diffraction

Thanks again for your help

Paul Butler
Dean Myles