[Imgcif-l] High speed image compression

Justin Anderson justin at rayonix.com
Thu Jul 28 19:46:36 BST 2011

Hello all,

I have run Graeme's byte offset code on a 4k x 4k (2 byte depth)
Gaussian noise image and found it to compress the image in around 150 ms
(64-bit RHEL, Pentium D 3.46GHz).  Using CBF library with byte offset
compression, I find the compression takes around 125 ms.

This will be too slow to keep up with our high speed CCD cameras.  We
are considering parallelizing the byte offset routine by operating on
each line of the image individually.  Note that this would mean that a
given compressed image would be stored differently than via the whole
image algorithm.

Has anyone been thinking about this already or does anyone have any
thoughts?

Regards,

Justin

--