[Imgcif-l] Pilatus 2M putative full CBF implementation

Nicholas Sauter nksauter at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 1 20:00:59 BST 2011

Alan,

I didn't realize the files could be read both ways.  I can force Labelit to
read the files in one format or the other; I still get correct autoindexing,
but the lattice results are slightly different numerically.

In trying to track this down, I printed out the relevant parameters from
both types of read.  Beam centers differ by 4 microns.  File reads give
similar timings on our Intel Xeon; 19.9 ms for CBF-format; 19.5 ms for
Pilatus format.  Trying this many times and in different orders, it
consistently takes about 0.2 - 0.5 ms longer to read the CBF-format.

Nick

P.S. Here's the complete cctbx/Python script I used, plus the output:

#####  Python script run in CCTBX environment:
from iotbx.detectors import CBFImage, PilatusImage
import pprint
def compare(file):
  C = CBFImage(file)
  P = PilatusImage(file); P.readHeader()
  print "As a CBF-format image:"
  pprint.pprint(C.parameters)
  print "As a Pilatus-format image:"
  pprint.pprint(P.parameters)

def benchmark(file):
  from libtbx.development.timers import Timer
  T = Timer("CBF-format")
  for x in xrange(1000):
    C = CBFImage(file); C.read()
  T = Timer("Pilatus-format")
  for x in xrange(1000):
    P = PilatusImage(file); P.read()
  del T
  assert P.linearintdata==C.linearintdata

if __name__=="__main__":
  import sys
  compare(file=sys.argv[1])
  benchmark(file=sys.argv[1])

 As a CBF-format image:
{'BEAM_CENTER_X': 144.3900000000025,
 'BEAM_CENTER_Y': 126.08000000000216,
 'CCD_IMAGE_SATURATION': 590314.0,
 'DETECTOR_SN': 0,
 'DISTANCE': 155.02,
 'OSC_RANGE': 0.05,
 'OSC_START': 0.0,
 'PIXEL_SIZE': 0.17200000000000001,
 'SIZE1': 1679,
 'SIZE2': 1475,
 'TWOTHETA': 0.0,
 'WAVELENGTH': 0.9173}
As a Pilatus-format image:
{'BEAM_CENTER_X': 144.394,
 'BEAM_CENTER_Y': 126.08460000000001,
 'CCD_IMAGE_SATURATION': 590314,
 'DETECTOR_SN': 'PILATUS 2M S/N 24-0107 Diamond',
 'DISTANCE': 155.0,
 'DISTANCE_UNITS': 'm',
 'OSC_RANGE': 0.05,
 'OSC_START': 0.0,
 'PIXEL_SIZE': 0.17200000000000001,
 'PIXEL_SIZE_UNITS': 'm',
 'SIZE1': 1679,
 'SIZE2': 1475,
 'WAVELENGTH': 0.9173}
start timing Pilatus-format
start timing CBF-format
time for Pilatus-format: CPU,   18.950s; elapsed,   19.278s
time for CBF-format: CPU,   19.240s; elapsed,   19.568s