[Imgcif-l] Questions of reference frames

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Tue Feb 16 12:52:29 GMT 2010

Nice question.  The current best wording we have is appended.
If we have an intersection between the beam and any part of the
sample, that definition comes close, so what I now would suggest is

      If the sample goniometer or other
      sample positioner has two axes the intersection of which defines a
      unique point at which the sample should be mounted to be bathed
      by the beam, that will be the origin of the axis system.  If no such
      point is defined, then the midpoint of the line of intersection
      between the sample and the center of the beam will define the origin.
      If the beam does not intersect the sample at the initial settings
      if the axes, then the point of closest approach between the
      center lins of the beam and the pricipal axis of the goniometer
      will define the origin, if that axis is defined and if the
      angle between that axis and the center line of the beam is at
      least 22.5 degrees.

      For this definition the sample positioning system will be set at
      its initial reference position for the experiment.

      Axis 1 (X): The X-axis is parallel to the mechanical axis pointing
      from the sample or specimen along the  principal axis of the
      goniometer or sample positioning system if the sample positioning
      system has an axis has a well-defined point of closest approach
      to the center-line of the beam to define the origin as above
      and which form an angle of more than 22.5 degrees with the beam axis.

If this is acceptable, I will embed it in the wording below.

      THE IMGCIF STANDARD LABORATORY COORDINATE SYSTEM

      The imgCIF standard laboratory coordinate system is a right-handed
      orthogonal coordinate similar to the MOSFLM coordinate system,
      but imgCIF puts Z along the X-ray beam, rather than putting X along
the
      X-ray beam as in MOSFLM.

      The vectors for the imgCIF standard laboratory coordinate system
      form a right-handed Cartesian coordinate system with its origin
      in the sample or specimen.  The origin of the axis system should,
      if possible, be defined in terms of mechanically stable axes to be
      be both in the sample and in the beam.  If the sample goniometer or
other
      sample positioner has two axes the intersection of which defines a
      unique point at which the sample should be mounted to be bathed
      by the beam, that will be the origin of the axis system.  If no such
      point is defined, then the midpoint of the line of intersection
      between the sample and the center of the beam will define the origin.
      For this definition the sample positioning system will be set at
      its initial reference position for the experiment.

                              | Y (to complete right-handed system)

                              |________________X
                             /       principal goniometer axis
                            /
                           /
                          /
                         /
                        /Z (to source)

      Axis 1 (X): The X-axis is aligned to the mechanical axis pointing
from
      the sample or specimen along the  principal axis of the goniometer or
      sample positioning system if the sample positioning system has an
axis
      that intersects the origin and which form an angle of more than 22.5
      degrees with the beam axis.

      Axis 2 (Y): The Y-axis completes an orthogonal right-handed system
      defined by the X-axis and the Z-axis (see below).

      Axis 3 (Z): The Z-axis is derived from the source axis which goes
from
      the sample to the source.  The Z-axis is the component of the source
axis
      in the direction of the source orthogonal to the X-axis in the plane
      defined by the X-axis and the source axis.

      If the conditions for the X-axis can be met, the coordinate system
      will be based on the goniometer or other sample positioning system
      and the beam and not on the orientation of the detector, gravity etc.
      The vectors necessary to specify all other axes are given by sets of
      three components in the order (X, Y, Z).
      If the axis involved is a rotation axis, it is right-handed, i.e. as
      one views the object to be rotated from the origin (the tail) of the
      unit vector, the rotation is clockwise.  If a translation axis is
      specified, the direction of the unit vector specifies the sense of
      positive translation.

      Note:  This choice of coordinate system is similar to but
significantly
      different from the choice in MOSFLM (Leslie & Powell, 2004).  In
MOSFLM,
      X is along the X-ray beam (the CBF/imgCIF Z axis) and Z is along the
      rotation axis.

      In some experimental techniques, there is no goniometer or the
principal
      axis of the goniometer is at a small acute angle with respect to
      the source axis.  In such cases, other reference axes are needed
      to define a useful coordinate system.  The order of priority in
      defining directions in such cases is to use the detector, then
      gravity, then north.

      If the X-axis cannot be defined as above, then the
      direction (not the origin) of the X-axis should be parallel to the
axis
      of the primary detector element corresponding to the most rapidly
      varying dimension of that detector element's data array, with its
      positive sense corresponding to increasing values of the index for
      that dimension.  If the detector is such that such a direction cannot
      be defined (as with a point detector) or that direction forms an
      angle of less than 22.5 degrees with respect to the source axis, then
      the X-axis should be chosen so that if the Y-axis is chosen
      in the direction of gravity, and the Z-axis is chosen to be along
      the source axis, a right-handed orthogonal coordinate system is
chosen.
      In the case of a vertical source axis, as a last resort, the
      X-axis should be chosen to point North.

      All rotations are given in degrees and all translations are given in
mm.

      Axes may be dependent on one another.  The X-axis is the only
goniometer
      axis the direction of which is strictly connected to the hardware.
All
      other axes are specified by the positions they would assume when the
      axes upon which they depend are at their zero points.

      When specifying detector axes, the axis is given to the beam centre.
      The location of the beam centre on the detector should be given in
the
      DIFFRN_DETECTOR category in distortion-corrected millimetres from
      the (0,0) corner of the detector.

      It should be noted that many different origins arise in the
definition
      of an experiment.  In particular, as noted above, it is necessary to
      specify the location of the beam centre on the detector in terms
      of the origin of the detector, which is, of course, not coincident
      with the centre of the sample.

      The unit cell, reciprocal cell and crystallographic orthogonal
      Cartesian coordinate system are defined by the CELL and the matrices
      in the ATOM_SITES category.

         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769

                  +1-631-244-3035
                  yaya at dowling.edu