[Imgcif-l] CIF parser

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Fri Oct 5 16:33:53 BST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

   The quesion is one of a good C++ CIF parser.  For objective C, there
is Phil Bourne's OOSTAR.  Peter Murray-Rust had a C++ DDL1 package
in the mid 90's.  The various RCSB C-based packages can, of course,
be used with C++.  The same can be said of CBFlib.

   For CBFlib, in particular, while the question is a CIF question than an
imgCIF question, it is timely in terms of other efforts in the CBFlib API
for imgCIF.  CBFlib is seeing increasing use in a range of languages,
As noted above, CBFlib is a C api, but it can be and is used in C++
applications, but this would be a good time to add proper
object-oriented C++ hooks.

   For a proper C++ class library the question is of moving the functions
in the API in under various class, and changing from malloc-style memory
management to use of new-style constructors and appropriate destructors.

   In a related context, python, Jon Wright has done one possible class
organization in his pycbf python bindings for CBFlib.

   I am copying this message to the imgcif list to see who might wish to
contribute to the effort.

   Regards,
     Herbert
         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769