[Imgcif-l] imgCIF Standard Axis definition

Jon Wright wright at esrf.fr
Fri May 4 09:22:38 BST 2007

Dear Herbert,

There already seems to be some work on using multiple crystals in more
conventional crystallography, so I wonder if there is way to re-use
those labels? Perhaps I am trying to put a square peg in a round hole
here...

Currently there is _diffrn_id in the _diffrn_orient_matrix category,
which identifies the diffraction experiment. I would suggest adding a
pointer to the category '_exptl_crystal_id' which might also be called
'_diffrn.crystal_id' in mmCIF? eg, just add:

'_diffrn_orient_matrix.crystal_id'

...and allow a loop giving a list of orientation matrices all pointing
at different crystal_id's. This seems to be the 'many crystal' cif
category, but I don't quite see how to list several crystals in the same
cif file for now (would I have to give all the crystal colors for grains
buried inside a piece of rock?). After integration the same data for
_exptl_crystal_id should then show up in the integrated reflections as:

_refln_crystal_id
and/or:
_diffrn_refln_crystal_id

Somehow it would be useful to distinguish the cases of having several
crystals and several structure refinements, or several crystals giving a
single merged dataset and a single refinement. This would be closely
related to the existing practices dealing with twins in small molecule
crystallography. People make a dataset from single twin component in
order to solve the strucuture (shelx hklf 4) and then refine it using
all the reflections (shelx hklf 5 I think). I've copied this mail to
Simon Parsons in case he knows how this is done in cif already.

Then for crystal translations mmCIF already has:
'_diffrn.crystal_id'
'_diffrn.crystal_support'
'_diffrn.crystal_treatment'

How about then adding a category:
'_diffrn_crystal_translation'
containing:
'_diffrn_crystal_translation.x'
'_diffrn_crystal_translation.y'
'_diffrn_crystal_translation.z'
'_diffrn_crystal_translation.diffrn_id'
'_diffrn_crystal_translation.crystal_id'

These are x, y, z translations of the crystal with respect to the
laboratory axes with all goniometer angles set to zero. Units are mm.
The diffrn_id refers to the diffraction experiment and there must also
be a matching _diffrn_orient_matrix.diffrn_id entry and a matching
crystal_id. The axis x/y/z definition here will match that of the
orientation matrix (and therefore the laboratory co-ordinate system) and
if the category is absent then these values are assumed to be zero. This
category is allowed to _loop over all the crystals in the sample.

If the orientation_matrix category contains a UB matrix, one should
expect to be able to match the unit cell parameters for each crystal to
the ones that can be derived from UB (eg (UB)^T.UB is the metric tensor,
which in turn gives the unit cell). Since there are many cif files which
implicitly assume a single crystal, it seems the default value for
crystal_id in any category must be assumed as the first and only entry
in _exptl_crystal_id. Otherwise almost all derived data will end up
being littered with crystal_id entries. I wonder if orientation matrix
should have been:

'_diffrn_crystal_orient_matrix.UB[0][0]' etc

where I've added crystal in the label. The orientation matrix is a
property of the crystal in the diffraction experiment and you can't
normally find one without mounting your crystal! Is it a bug in mmCIF to
have this independent of the crystal?

What are your thoughts? Perhaps a new category would be better if this
is a mis-use of the intentions of crystal_id

Best,

Jon

PS: Apologies if this mail was sent twice.