[Imgcif-l] imgCIF Standard Axis definition

Jon Wright wright at esrf.fr
Thu May 3 23:47:39 BST 2007

Hi Herbert,

> 1.  No matter how the direction of the X-axis is chosen,
> it is important to place the origin of the X-axis in
> the sample, not in the detector.  Otherwise calculations
> of beam centers and detector distances become
> quite difficult.

A pedantic point, but the intersection of the goniometer axes would seem
like a first choice of origin for ImageCIF. If there is only one axis
then the intersection of that axis with the centre of the beam seems
like a second choice. The finite sized sample would then be the last resort.

Not sure where they go in the current dictionaries; but the Bruker/Saint
practice of refining "crystal translations" during integration are
useful data to be recorded. These same numbers come up in grain mapping
applications, which is a growing business. These definitions really
matter and are usually interesting in terms of an agreed upon laboratory
co-ordinate system.

I see _diffrn_orient_matrix is in mmCIF (?) We often collect images
where the sample is a collection of grains, each having their own
orientation and centre of mass. How should multiple crystals be dealt
with now, for example with non-merohedral twins?

Best,

Jon