[High-pressure-crystallography] Call for the host of the 2022 IUCr High Pressure Workshop

Kamil Dziubek dziubek at lens.unifi.it
Thu Sep 30 19:30:30 BST 2021

 Dear Colleagues,

The IUCr Commission on High Pressure (CHP) is actively exploring the
potential hosts of the 2022 IUCr High Pressure Workshop in the Americas,
the region comprising North and South America. See the list of previous
events at:
https://www.iucr.org/resources/commissions/high-pressure/past-events

The second half of September 2022 is currently the target time for the
event. We hope to find a reliable team who can act as a local organizing
committee. Prior experience in high-pressure research can be helpful, but
is not essential. In principle, enthusiastic and proactive groups who would
like to foster new contacts and develop international collaboration are
also welcome to apply.

Although the current pandemic situation is still dynamic, we optimistically
assume increased in-person participation moving into the next year.
Therefore we are suggesting to hold the future workshop in the hybrid mode,
trying to attract a considerable number of onsite participants while
keeping all the safety precautions, but also allowing virtual participation
for the colleagues who cannot attend the workshop in person. For your
information, in the pre-Covid times the workshops (4-5 days long) usually
gathered around 50-80 participants.

As the event is intended as a workshop, we would like to have a program
that is at least partially tutorial-oriented. At the previous IUCr High
Pressure Workshops in Novosibirsk (http://xray.nsu.ru/hpw2021/programme.htm)
and earlier in Honolulu (https://hp2018honolulu.github.io/training.html) a
number of training events were run, attracting many attendees. They were
focused mostly on the high-pressure single crystal diffraction methods, but
any fresh ideas would be appreciated.

The bidders should summarize the draft schedule and budget of the proposed
Workshop, including also the detailed description of a suggested venue, in
the form of a letter of intent, 1-2 pages long. A draft of the preliminary
program, including the tutorials/training events should be enclosed.
Accommodation options ranging from hotels to budget accommodation should be
suggested. The estimated cost to attend, bursaries for young participants,
costs of providing the venue, refreshments and conference services
including web site, sponsored conference dinner etc. should be specified in
the proposal. Identifying potential sponsors of the meeting would be
beneficial.

The IUCr Commission on High Pressure will look into the bids, discuss their
contents and the decision will be taken in November 2021.

*If you consider running the Workshop, please express your preliminary
interest by sending me an email at dziubek at lens.unifi.it
<dziubek at lens.unifi.it> not later than October 15, 2021.* Do not hesitate
to ask any further questions, I will be happy to provide you with more
information.

Best regards,
Kamil F. Dziubek
Chair of the IUCr Commission on High Pressure