CCDC/IUCr Journals proposal 2: Addition of identifiers to AUDIT_AUTHOR and related categories.

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 03:12:58 GMT 2020

Normally it would be a good idea to be informed by current usage elsewhere,
but
 bibliographic metadata is variable and inconsistent. Here's a typical

Biology, National Taiwan University" />
Evolutionary Biology, National Taiwan University" />
Biology Degree Program, National Taiwan University" />
http://orcid.org/0000-0002-1913-9964" />

If this were a published standard I would suggest we adopt some of the
terms, But it isn't. So CIF can do it better.
The other place that may standardize de facto is Wikidata/Scholia.
Worth keeping an eye on.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 1:55 AM James Hester <jamesrhester at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the full proposal see
> https://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/coredmg/msg00345.html
>
> In summary, it is proposed that ORCID ids be added to the relevant
> categories. The IUCr suggest adding also IUCr Ids as well.

Good idea - the more ids the better... and the IUCr Ids could be added to
Wikidata.

> My comments: I see nothing controversial here and agree with the IUCr
> Journals that the question of validity of a given ID is outside the scope
> of CIF itself.

I'd agree. Validate the ID provider.

> --
"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069