_publ_author_name is not a good key for _publ_author

Herbert J. Bernstein yayahjb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:21:11 BST 2020

Dear James,
  That is a solvable problem.  If they don't have one, use a "." until they
get one, and bug them periodically
about getting one.  At worst we will end up with some small number of
people who happen to have identical
names and who also refuse to get an ORCID id.  That is a much smaller
problem than we have now.
  Regards,
    Herbert

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM James Hester <jamesrhester at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It would be great to use ORCID, but not everyone has one.
>
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 19:54, Herbert J. Bernstein <yayahjb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear James,
>>   Having an unambiguous key is a fine idea, but shouldn't it just be the
>> ORCID id, as in _publ_aithor_id_orcid
>>   Regards,
>>     Herbert
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 12:51 AM James Hester via coreDMG <
>> coredmg at iucr.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Core DMG,
>>>
>>> Please see proposed new definitions for the publ_author category, as
>>> suggested in my previous email (below). If no objections are forthcoming, I
>>> will be updating the dictionary a week from today.  Note that this change
>>> will in turn pave the way for adding author roles to a CIF file.
>>>
>>> best wishes,
>>> James.
>>> ===========
>>>
>>> save_PUBL_AUTHOR
>>>
>>> _definition.id                          PUBL_AUTHOR
>>> _definition.scope                       Category
>>> _definition.class                       Loop
>>> _definition.update                      2020-06-30
>>> _description.text
>>> ;
>>>      Category of data items recording the author information.
>>> ;
>>> _name.category_id                       PUBL
>>> _name.object_id                         PUBL_AUTHOR
>>> _category.key_id                        '_publ_author.id'