Flack parameter reporting enquiry

Natalie Johnson njohnson at ccdc.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 21 14:14:16 BST 2020

Dear all,

I was also contacted by David Watkin about the flack parameter and have some statistics on the presence of some of the absolute structure fields in CIFs in the CSD.

I have extracted the number of CIFs where particular fields are included (for structures in CSD up to October 2019 where has a CIF - approximately 750,000) (table attached to this email).

I am currently looking at the content of some of these fields to assess if it is possible to identify the type of parameter (flack, hooft, parsons etc.) from information in the _refine_ls_abs_structure_details field. It is looking like a number of different parameters are being reported in the _refine_ls_abs_structure_Flack field (and there are cases where another parameter is reported in that field too e.g. a value for hooft).

I have had a brief look at the Rogers field and approximately 180 of the 1834 CIFs which include the Rogers field have a numerical value in the field. There are very small number of CIFs (~10) including this parameter from papers published in the last few years.

Best wishes,

Natalie