Draft definition for _diffrn_measurement.specimen_adhesive

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:53:57 BST 2020

Small correction as pointed out by an eagle-eyed member of the group - the
reference to '_diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_special_details in
the definition text for _specimen_attachment_type should not have 'special'
in it, i.e. should be _diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_details

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 12:06, James Hester <jamesrhester at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> taking into account comments from here and at Github. Further comments
> welcome, if none are forthcoming I will add these definitions to the core
> dictionary.
>
> save_diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_type
> _definition.id     '_diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_type'
> _description.text
> ;
> The way in which the sample is attached to the sample holder, including
> the type of adhesive material used if relevant. If
> the attachment method is not included in the list below, 'Other' should be
> chosen and details provided in
> _diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_special_details.
> ;
> _type.contents       Code
> loop_
> _enumerated_set.case
> _enumerated_set.detail
> epoxy            "An epoxy glue"
> oil                  "A viscous oil"
> frozen_liquid  "A frozen liquid, not water or oil"
> magnet          "Sample is held in place by magnetic field"
> clay               "Modelling clay"
> other             "A method not listed here"
> ice                 "The specimen is frozen in place using water ice"
>
> save_
>
> save_diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_details
> _definition.id     '_diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_details'
> _description.text
> ;
> A description of the method of attachment of the sample to the sample
> holder. The general method of attachment
> should be described using _diffrn_measurement.specimen_attachment_type
> ;
> loop_
> _description_example.case
> "UHU Super Glue ultrafast gel"
> "Fluorinert"
> "Plasticine"
> "Sample was held tightly by a custom aluminium wire framework attached to
> the sample holder"
>
> save_
>

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 22:36, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Possible typo?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinert
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:10 AM James Hester via coreDMG <
>> coredmg at iucr.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Core DMG,
>>>
>>> Please see the following proposed new definition for describing the
>>> adhesive used to attach a single crystal specimen to a capillary or other
>>> sample holder attached to a goniometer head. I have provided one definition
>>> that selects from an enumerated list, useful for machine processing, and
>>> another that allows free-form text so that brand names and other details
>>> can be included.  If you know of any methods of adhesion that are not
>>> covered in the following list, please contribute them, and if I have
>>> suggested anything that is not used in practice, please let me know.
>>>
>>> ====
>>> save_diffrn_measurement.specimen_adhesive_type
>>> _definition.id     '_diffrn_measurement.specimen_adhesive_type'
>>> _description.text
>>> ;
>>> The type of the adhesive material used to attach the sample to a sample
>>> holder.
>>> ;
>>> loop_
>>> _enumerated_set.case
>>> _enumerated_set.detail
>>> Epoxy            "An epoxy glue"
>>> Oil                  "A viscous oil"
>>> Frozen_Liquid  "A frozen liquid, not water or oil"
>>> Magnet          "Sample is held in place by magnetic field"
>>> Clay               "Modelling clay"
>>> .                     "No adhesive used"
>>> Ice                 "The specimen is frozen in place using water ice"
>>>
>>> save_
>>>
>>> save_diffrn_measurement.specimen_adhesive_details
>>> _definition.id     '_diffrn_measurement.specimen_adhesive_details'

--
T +61 (02) 9717 9907
F +61 (02) 9717 3145