Relationship between _publ_author.id and _audit_author.id

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:09:02 BST 2020

And let me take the chance to emphasise that "global" data blocks are not
specified by the CIF standards. IUCr journals and other bodies are of
course welcome to enhance the standard through specific instructions to
authors.

That said there is an obvious logic to the global data block scheme for
situations where multiple structures are reported in a single paper, and
even without magic names ("global") there is a straightforward heuristic
for determining which (if any) blocks can be merged in a given collection
of blocks. This could usefully be documented I'm thinking.

To bring it back to the discussion at hand, the publ_author list would be
identical for all blocks in a multi-structure CIF file destined for
publication (or placed in a "global" block), whereas the audit_author list
could vary between blocks depending on e.g. which students had custody of
which samples and who was operating the instrument on the day, which
probably means that option (4) is the only viable one.

--
T +61 (02) 9717 9907
F +61 (02) 9717 3145