Fwd: Suggesting CIF data item values

Brian McMahon bm at iucr.org
Thu May 30 12:27:15 BST 2019

As a follow-up to this request, Timo made these additional points:

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and the further consideration
of this case by the respective working group.

Personally, I think that the crystallographer's decision to refine a
chiral compound as a particular enantiomer should be described
unequivocally within the .cif, especially when relevant parameters like
Flack x and the corresponding esd's are not (near-)100 % reliable. One
should also think about other methods to determine an absolute
configuration, like chiroptical methods. Professor Rzepa (I have no
connections to him) obviously suggested an attribute co for
_chemical_absolute_configuration to describe that absolute configuration
has been determined by chiro-optical procedures, as can be seen here:

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/talks/vigo11/3.html

Although I am all but an expert for chiro-optical methods, this sounds
resonable to me. Or _chemical_absolute_configuration could be added with
a property 'other' to allow for a detailed description of the
configurational assignment within a subordinate _details data item.
However, I am not aware of the intended relationships,  dependencies,
and boundaries between _refine_ls_abs_structure_details and
_chemical_absolute_configuration.

Best wishes
Timo