Providing a definition for the deprecated _symmetry_cell_setting

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 06:01:46 BST 2017

To be fair, the definition I have given does not provide any new mechanism
to automatically remove _symmetry_cell_setting, as there is no DDLm
attribute that can signal deprecation and no machine-readable specification
to transform a _symmetry_cell_setting value to a
_space_group.crystal_system value.  This essentially forces archives to
preserve the _symmetry_cell_setting entry.

To specify how to convert _symmetry_cell_setting to the updated dataname, a
dREL method can be added to _space_group.crystal_system to derive the value
from the _symmetry_cell_setting value, as follows:

with sg as space_group {
   final_val = sg.deprecated_cell_setting
   if (final_val == "rhombohedral") final_val = "trigonal"
}
   space_group.crystal_system = final_val

However, this concerns me somewhat, as (1) we are signalling that the value
of a dataname depends on the value of a deprecated dataname and (2) we
could always write instead a dREL method that determines the crystal system
from the space group, which would be more informative.

For completeness I note also the option of defining new dataname
'_space_group.Bravais_system' (IT Vol A p722) as the precise equivalent of
_symmetry_cell_setting.

James.

T +61 (02) 9717 9907
F +61 (02) 9717 3145