Status of updated version of DDLm core cif

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 04:53:47 BST 2016

Dear Core Dictionary Maintenance Group,

The 6-week review of the DDLm version of the core dictionary has ended.
However, serious discussion is continuing in the DDLm group (see messages
following from
http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/ddlm-group/msg01428.html and
subsequent threads) around a way to allow looping of ordinarily
single-valued datanames.  That discussion arose from a need to resolve the
schizophrenic nature of the symmetry dictionary datanames: they are
loopable, but are aliased to the old 'unloopable' symmetry datanames, and
are indeed almost exclusively assumed to be unlooped in current software;
for more details see that discussion thread.

While undesirable, it is just possible that, as a result of these
discussions, the DDLm core dictionary may need some minor changes. If any
changes involve a changed dataname or interpretation of a dataname, the
changed portions will be presented here for your review.

In any case, I will hold off passing the DDLm core_cif dictionary to
COMCIFS for final approval until the discussions in the DDLm group have
been resolved, so I continue to invite any further comments that you have
on the current version.

best wishes,
James Hester
Acting Core DMG chair