Draft CIF dictionary for rgid body description

David Brown idbrown at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 11 16:07:37 BST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

In January I circulated to you, the coreCIF Dictionary Maintenance
Group, the draft of a CIF dictionary containing items for reporting the
restraints and constraints that were applied during the final round of
refinement.  This was approved by this group after a six week
consultaion period and passed on to COMCIFS for final approval.  During
this stage an objection was raised that under the proposal it was not
possible for an atom to belong to more than one rigid body, because the
rigid bodies were defined by a flag in the atom_site list which
identified which rigid body a partcular atom belonged to.

In order to address this weakness, Ilia Guzei and I have proposed an
amendment to the earlier draft.  This is more flexible in that it
defines each rigid body in terms of any atom in the atom_site list
together with a symmetry operation.  This places no restriction on the
number of rigid bodies an atom can belong to.  I am circulating this
amendment in the attached ASCII file which contains the amended
dictionary text.

Can you please check this and respond to this Discussion List with your
approval or reservation before September 10 (2010-09-10).  If there are
no unresolved issues at that time, I will incorporate this amendment
into the original restraint dictionary and pass it back to COMCIFS for
final approval.

I am looking forward to heariing from you

David Brown
Chair CoreCIF DMG