Dictionary release policy

James H jamesrhester at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 06:18:02 BST 2022

Dear COMCIFS,

Activity is picking up on the dictionary development front, particularly
regarding powder and core. This has led me to wonder about developing some
sort of process for releasing dictionary updates. See the below message
that I've raised as an issue on Github (see
https://github.com/COMCIFS/cif_core/issues/307). Please feel free to
respond there or here. Message follows:

We should develop some sort of dictionary release policy. At the moment we
commit updates to the master branch of the dictionary on Github, and no
further release activity happens. The status of the release is unclear: is
it official once the commit is made? It certainly has an internal version
number. I suggest we develop a process. Here is a start:

   1. A dictionary becomes official once it has been tagged on Github as a
   Github release
   2. A Github release should be simultaneously reflected on the main IUCr
   website as the latest version of the dictionary
   3. The machine-readable IUCr dictionary catalogue should be updated at
   the same time as (2)
   4. There should be one release at least every 3 months unless a
   dictionary has not changed in that time.
   5. A dictionary may be released sooner than every 3 months if there is
   an urgent need
   6. Approximately one week before the official release date relevant IUCr
   mailing lists should be advised of the forthcoming release together with a
   summary of changes
   7. A "release manager" is nominated for each dictionary and is
   responsible for managing the release process.

Thoughts? Experiences?
thanks,
James.

--