Applying for a COMCIFS workshop at IUCr 2023

James H jamesrhester at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 03:33:54 BST 2022

Dear COMCIFS,

The deadline for expressions of interest for IUCr2023 workshops is next
Thursday.  One idea for a COMCIFS-backed workshop is a one day Dictionary
Writing Workshop along the lines of the one held at Hyderabad back in 2015.
My preference would be to focus on DDLm dictionaries, as the wwPDB seems to
have a reasonable program of DDL2 dictionary definition development via
topic-focused workshops. As a rough outline the following topics might be
covered in the workshop:

1. Overview of CIF dictionaries (structure, available dictionaries, role in
the crystallographic world, DDL1/DDL2/DDLm)
2. Writing and contributing a new data name definition for an existing
dictionary (including introduction to DDLm attributes)
3. Designing and writing a new topic dictionary (from scratch to a complete
dictionary)
4. Using Github for rapid, collaborative dictionary development
5. (?) Writing dictionary-aware CIF software

Assuming there are no strong objections to this, I will put in the
expression of interest next week.

thanks,
James.
--