[CommDat] John Westbrook

James H jamesrhester at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 02:54:01 BST 2021

This is very sad news. I have had many interactions with John over the
years around various CIF projects, and many of you will remember his
typically thoughtful and informed contributions only a few months ago at
our COMCIFS meeting. He will indeed be greatly missed in our community.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 00:48, Brian McMahon via CommDat <commdat at iucr.org>
wrote:

> It is with great sadness that I pass on the news I have received
> of John Westbrook's sudden death a couple of days ago. John was a
> long-standing member of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of
> the CIF Standard and of the IUCr Committee on Data and its precursor,
> the Diffraction Data Deposition Working Group. He also served in the
> past as a Co-editor of Acta Crystallographica Section F, and on
> the Commission on Crystallographic Computing.
>
> John's many significant contributions to the work of these bodies will
> be familiar to all of you. He was also, of course, an essential member
> of the Protein Data Bank team, largely responsible for its software
> architecture and development since its re-formation under the RCSB.
>
> He will be greatly missed as a friend, a colleague, and a wise
> counsellor.
>
> Brian

T +61 (02) 9717 9907
F +61 (02) 9717 3145