Theorem proving / reasoning using CIF dictionaries

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:09:45 GMT 2018

If Joe's interest is more towards logical proofs based on 'has a' 'is a'
'contains' etc., then I'm not sure we have much to offer.  These concepts
are rather orthogonal to our approach, because we fundamentally assume the
involvement of human programmers in order to make the initial assignments
of data names based on human-readable definitions. Relationships like 'has
a', 'is a' are embedded in the discipline knowledge of the programmer and
are of little further practical use for typical scientific computational
tasks and so we haven't provided support for them.

In case I have misunderstood Joe's interests, there are some interesting
mathematical approaches related to DDLm and dREL, as follows. Assuming that
any data file has a relational representation, there is a direct one-to-one
correspondence between the relational schema describing the file and a
category (in the sense of mathematical category theory). This one-to-one
correspondence is shown and leveraged by Spivak in several publications
(e.g. Spivak, D. I. "Functorial data migration", Information and
Computation 217 (2012) 31-51). A given data file or collection of data
files represent an instance of the category.   Functors between different
ontologies (i.e. categories) can be set up to enable automatic data
migration between files whose schema are not identical. I gave a talk on
this at the recent AsCA meeting in New Zealand.

Because DDLm and dREL work within a relational model of data, DDLm
dictionaries and dREL can be used to describe and manipulate all forms of
data.  This seems not to be generally appreciated, perhaps because we do
lack the tools and visibility. Note that I have asserted above that any
data file has a relational representation, without providing a strict
mathematical proof, although I think one would be easy starting from the
point that a data file is a mapping from file position to byte. Meanwhile,
I have demonstrated the universality of DDLm and dREL by using DDLm
dictionaries and dREL to manipulate data expressed in HDF5 format
(hierarchical, binary). The code is available from Zenodo, and can be found
via the publication at
https://datascience.codata.org/articles/10.5334/dsj-2016-012/.

Hope that helps in some way!
James.