Advice on COMCIFS policy regarding compatibility of CIFsyntax with other domains. .

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 05:51:57 GMT 2011

Hi Herbert,

I agree that there is an in-principle need for a common semantic
features document, and I thank you for directing our attention to this
issue.  John B has suggested a 'base semantics' document to accompany
the 'base syntax' document.  This seems like a workable approach to
me, and we would call the 'base semantics' document 'common semantic
features' in keeping with CIF1.  I would further suggest we hold off
on developing the 'common semantic features' document until we have
finished the syntax.

Below find a redrafted version of the Preamble and point 1(i) to make
the existence of the common semantic features document clear.

Principles guiding development of CIF syntax

Preamble: The CIF syntax describes a human-readable, syntactic
container for scientific data.  CIF syntax aims to be as simple as
possible.  The domain dictionaries are the primary location of
semantic information in the Crystallographic Information Framework.
In the following, the phrase 'dictionary level' refers either to the domain
dictionaries, the DDL language in which the domain dictionaries are
written, or the CIF2 common semantic features specification which
imposes minimum requirements on the semantics specified by dictionaries
and DDLs.

 1. A feature should only be added to CIF syntax if all of the
 following are satisfied:

 (i) Implementation of the desired behavior by
 changes at the dictionary level rather than to CIF syntax
 is not feasible, or else such changes, while feasible, would
 significantly reduce human readability;

(end of changes)

T +61 (02) 9717 9907
F +61 (02) 9717 3145