Advice on COMCIFS policy regarding compatibility of CIFsyntax with other domains. .

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:43:12 GMT 2011

Dear Herbert,

Please explain why you think that the latest version of the guiding
principles is at variance with the 'Common Semantic Features' document
and approach.  For example, what would prevent us from adopting a
similar CSF document for CIF2?  It would help if you quoted particular
points from the guidelines in your reply.

James.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Herbert J. Bernstein
<yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
>   I would suggest that people review Brian's excellent common
> semantic features document for CIF 1.1.  I think keeping those
> sort of semantic decisions couple to the syntax decisions for
> CIF has worked well, and I do not think the sharp departure
> now proposed for handling CIF2 will work as well for the
> reasons I stated previously.  It ain't broke.  Why are
> we fixing it?  New feautures involve a mix of syntax and
> semantics depedending on the feature.  I believe we should
> be focusing on features rather than the bin within which
> they fit for presentation purposes.
>
>   Regards,
>      Herbert
>  Herbert J. Bernstein, Professor of Computer Science
>    Dowling College, Kramer Science Center, KSC 121
>         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769
>
>                  +1-631-244-3035
>                  yaya at dowling.edu

T +61 (02) 9717 9907