Procedure for approving small dictionary updates

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Fri Feb 5 17:41:48 GMT 2010

Dear James,

   To avoid offending people in the process of ensuring active DWG/DMG
membership, I would propose that COMCIFS adopt a uniform policy of
terms for both chairs and DWG/DMG members.  Here is the policy I
would suggest:

1.  That COMCIFS recognize DWG/DMG chairs for 3 year terms ending
immediately after each IUCr meeting, with successors to be
desgnated by COMCIFS at each IUCr meeting or on any vacancy.  Someone
filling a vacancy would serve only to the end of the orginal term.

2.  That each DWG/DMG chair propose a list of DWG/DMG members to COMCIFS
for 3 year terms ending one month after each IUCr meeting, with successors
to be recommended by the incoming DWG/DMG chairs at or immediately after
each IUCr meeting or on any vacancy.  Someone filling a vacancy would
serve only to the end of the original term. In addition, any DWG/DMG
chair whose term is ending would automatically be offered a seat as a
member of the same DWG/DMG if they are interested in serving.

3.  That there be no restriction on chairs and DWG/DMG chairs succeeding
themselves and no minimum or maximum number of members of a DWG/DMG, and
that COMCIFS would reserve the right to add appropriate, interested
members of the community to any DWG/DMG.

4.  That the COMCIFS secretary maintain an online list of all DWG/DMG
chairs and members

5.  While it is desirable to DWG/DMGs to work by consensus, if decisions
are to be made by majority voting, on email ballots a plurality of those
voting will be sufficient to decide a question, with those who do not
respond within 6 weeks of posing a question deemed to have abstained.
For meetings at IUCr meetings a majority of those DWG/DMG members in
attendance at the IUCr meeting will constitute a quorum, and a plurality
of that quorum sufficient to carry a motion.

6.  COMCIFS may act at any time to revive a moribund DWG/DMG by replacing
chairs and/or members as needed to ensure proper fucntioning.

         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769

                  +1-631-244-3035
                  yaya at dowling.edu