Variants

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Thu Nov 26 17:21:18 GMT 2009

Dear David,

   With all due respect, I must differ.  We now have two half-way
measures related to variants for the core dictionary relating to
wavelengths.  The problem you raised in considering the change
for wavelengths is real, and as you recognized from Nicks partial
implementation, use of variants truly addresses the issue.  This
would be a good time to solve it completely, while be have people
paying at least some slight attention to gaps in the logic of CIF.

   Certainly, it would also be nice if people really came to grips
with the lexical issues of CIF strings as well, but let us not
compound one mistake (walking away from the string issues) with
another (walking away from the variant issues).  The fact that
we cannot get a consensus to solve one problem, which is
actually somwwhat removed from crystallogrpahic concerns, should
not mean that we have no hope of getting a consensus on solving
a more important issue that impacts important scientific issues
in doing and reporting crystallographic experiments.

Let me answer your third point first:  Are variants allowed in
imgCIF as well as in CBF.  Certainly.  However, we seem to marching
rapidly back to the unfortunely situation in 1996-1997, when there
were religious reasons why imgCIF was then called imgNCIF (not for
not) because the thinks we need to do to actually collect data
seemd to violate some of the formalities to which one must bow
to rightfully call a dataset a CIF.  So, I suspect, in deference
to those formalities I will have to call the ascii versions of
a CIF2 style CBF (which certainly will continue to allow
variants)  something other than CIF until we can arrange another
face-to-face peace conference the way we did to change from imgNCIF
to imgCIF.  It is sad to see this same thing happening again, but
until we get everybody together in the ame room to make peace, I
don't see an alternative.

On your dREL interaction issue -- actually it is a much broader and
fundamental issue having to do with row selection from tables
for the application of functions.  It is easily solved by adding
some SQL-like selection functions, which accept values for a key
and a table name and return the appropriate row.

Regards,
   Herbert
         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769

                  +1-631-244-3035