Reactivating mmCIF DMG (was discussion of dictionary update procedure)

James Hester jamesrhester at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 04:26:55 BST 2009

Hi Herbert: I do not dispute that there are also many pdbx tags,
additional to those for internal use, that have significance for the
macromolecular community, thus my agreement that we should reactivate
the mmCIF DMG and look at how to include these.

James.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Herbert J.
Bernstein<yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com> wrote:
> [...]
> PDB secondary structure description and the new mmCIF description.
>
>  Consider also, _atom_site.pdbx_PDB_model_num, which is essential to the
> understanding of multiple model entries, especially because the PDB repeats
> atom serial numbers between models.  This is not a database management tag.
>
>  There are many more such tags.  If they were purely for internal database
> management, they would not have to be part of every so-called mmCIF entry
> released by the PDB.  These are, quite literally, de facto standards for
> crystallographic macromolecular data, and should be carefully considered by
> the crystallographic community in that context.
>
>  I urge everyone to read
> http://mmcif.pdb.org/dictionaries/ascii/mmcif_pdbx.dic
>
>  Regards,
>    Herbert
>  Herbert J. Bernstein, Professor of Computer Science
>   Dowling College, Kramer Science Center, KSC 121
>        Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769
>
>                 +1-631-244-3035
>                 yaya at dowling.edu
>
> On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, James Hester wrote:
>
>> To first address Herbert's comments below:  A PDB mmCIF file does
>> contain a lot of mmCIF data items, so I would argue that calling it an
>> 'mmCIF' file is reasonable. The PDB additionally include many 'pdbx'
>> items which have no meaning outside the PDB, but which enable them to
>> freely convert between the database and a CIF file.  I might add in
>> passing that this relational database <-> CIF interconvertibility is a
>> rather remarkable attribute of the CIF standard, and we should
>> recognise the PDB for the work that they have put into realising this.
>>
>> It is not correct to state that the 'pdbx' tags are being proposed as
>> de-facto standards.  If I include 'anbf' tags in powder diffraction
>> CIF file and call the result a 'pdCIF' file, am I proposing these as
>> defacto pdCIF standards?  I think not.  I am simply stating that
>> software that works with pdCIF (eg CMPR) will be able to process this
>> file.
>>
>> On the other hand, it is clear that there are plenty of pdbx dataitems
>> of relevance to the macromolecular community, and work on bringing
>> these into the mmCIF dictionary would be welcome.  I would certainly
>> support reactivation of the mmCIF DMG and tasking it with updating
>> mmCIF.  What do other members think?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> James.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Herbert J.
>> Bernstein<yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> James has written:

>>>  I am unable to see any justification for exclusion of pdbx, when that,
>>> rather than mmCIF, is what the PDB uses for its crystallographic
>>> macromolecular file releases, and even calls those pdbx files mmCIF
>>> files.
>>>
>>>  For example, when I display the "mmCIF" file for 4ins, I get a file
>>> that contains the following pdbx items:
>>>
>>> _audit_conform.dict_name       mmcif_pdbx.dic
>>> _audit_conform.dict_version    1.0670
>>> _audit_conform.dict_location
>>> http://mmcif.pdb.org/dictionaries/ascii/mmcif_pdbx.dic
>>>
>>> #
>>> _pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.id               SPRSDE
>>> _pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.date             1990-04-15
>>> _pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.pdb_id           4INS
>>> _pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.replace_pdb_id   1INS
>>> #
>>> _pdbx_database_status.status_code    REL
>>> _pdbx_database_status.entry_id       4INS
>>> _pdbx_database_status.deposit_site   ?
>>> _pdbx_database_status.process_site   ?
>>> _pdbx_database_status.SG_entry       .
>>> #
>>>
>>> loop_
>>> _audit_author.name