Procedure for approving small dictionary updates

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Thu Aug 20 01:53:54 BST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

James has written:

> My understanding is that imgCIF and mmCIF are within the purvey of
> COMCIFS, but we have no responsibility for pdbx and so this procedure
> would not apply to it.

   I am unable to see any justification for exclusion of pdbx, when that,
rather than mmCIF, is what the PDB uses for its crystallographic
macromolecular file releases, and even calls those pdbx files mmCIF files.

   For example, when I display the "mmCIF" file for 4ins, I get a file
that contains the following pdbx items:

_audit_conform.dict_name       mmcif_pdbx.dic
_audit_conform.dict_version    1.0670
_audit_conform.dict_location   http://mmcif.pdb.org/dictionaries/ascii/mmcif_pdbx.dic

#
_pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.id               SPRSDE
_pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.date             1990-04-15
_pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.pdb_id           4INS
_pdbx_database_PDB_obs_spr.replace_pdb_id   1INS
#
_pdbx_database_status.status_code    REL
_pdbx_database_status.entry_id       4INS
_pdbx_database_status.deposit_site   ?
_pdbx_database_status.process_site   ?
_pdbx_database_status.SG_entry       .
#

loop_
_audit_author.name
_audit_author.pdbx_ordinal
'Dodson, G.G.'  1
'Dodson, E.J.'  2
'Hodgkin, D.C.' 3
'Isaacs, N.W.'  4
'Vijayan, M.'   5

loop_
_citation.id
_citation.title
_citation.journal_abbrev
_citation.journal_volume
_citation.page_first
_citation.page_last
_citation.year
_citation.journal_id_ASTM
_citation.country
_citation.journal_id_ISSN
_citation.journal_id_CSD
_citation.book_publisher
_citation.pdbx_database_id_PubMed
_citation.pdbx_database_id_DOI
primary 'The structure of 2Zn pig insulin crystals at 1.5 A resolution.'
Philos.Trans.R.Soc.London,Ser.B                          319 369 456 1988
PTRBAE UK 0080-4622     0441 ?
2905485 ?

_cell.pdbx_unique_axis   ?

_symmetry.pdbx_full_space_group_name_H-M   ?

loop_
_entity.id
_entity.type
_entity.src_method
_entity.pdbx_description
_entity.formula_weight
_entity.pdbx_number_of_molecules
_entity.details
1 polymer     man 'INSULIN (CHAIN A)' 2383.700 2   ?
2 polymer     man 'INSULIN (CHAIN B)' 3403.955 2   ?
3 non-polymer syn 'ZINC ION'          65.380   2   ?
4 water       nat water               18.015   350 ?

loop_
_entity_poly.entity_id
_entity_poly.type
_entity_poly.nstd_linkage
_entity_poly.nstd_monomer
_entity_poly.pdbx_seq_one_letter_code
_entity_poly.pdbx_seq_one_letter_code_can
_entity_poly.pdbx_strand_id
1 'polypeptide(L)' no no GIVEQCCTSICSLYQLENYCN
GIVEQCCTSICSLYQLENYCN          A,C
2 'polypeptide(L)' no no FVNQHLCGSHLVEALYLVCGERGFFYTPKA
FVNQHLCGSHLVEALYLVCGERGFFYTPKA B,D

and many, many more

It is a serious abdication of COMCIFS responsibility to the
crystallographic community for COMCIFS to fail to consider each of the
pdbx tags that are implicitly being proposed as de facto revisions to the
crystallographic mmCIF dictionary.

I propose that a DMG be reactivated for mmCIF and that it be asked by
COMCIFS to make a proposal to COMCIFs on updating the mmCIF dictionary so
that it can actually be used for crystallographic macromolecular
structures.

Regards,
   Herbert

P.S.  An alternative would simply be to discard the mmCIF dictionary,
inasmuch as it is not being used.

         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769

                  +1-631-244-3035
                  yaya at dowling.edu