Proposed COMCIFS terms of reference

David Brown idbrown at mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 3 17:04:25 BST 2005

At the meetings of COMCIFS at the IUCr Congress in Florence, it was
agreed, with the blessing of the IUCr Executive Committee, to extend the
'Purpose' of COMCIFS in our 'Terms of Reference' to reflect the changes
in information technology that have occured since they were first
adopted over ten years ago.  CIF is no longer the only file structure of
its kind and this needs to be recognized as well as the distinction
between the CIF dictionaries and the CIF syntax.  The attached file
contains a proposal for revised Terms of Reference and is posted here
for discussion.  After any ammendment, it will be voted on by the voting
members of COMCIFS and passed to the Executive Committee for their approval.

I have taken the opportunity in this document to introduce the phrase
'Crystallographic Information Framework' as an expansion of CIF where
the acronym is applied to the CIF dictionaries and syntax (the original
expansion can still be used when referring to a file containing
crystallographic information in CIF format).  The new expansion was
suggested by John Westbrook and unanimously accepted by those present at
the meeting in Florence.

If you have any comments or suggestions for improvements, please send
them in a reply to this message.

David Brown
Chair of COMCIFS