[Cif2-encoding] Splitting of imgCIF and other sub-topics

Herbert J. Bernstein yaya at bernstein-plus-sons.com
Tue Aug 24 14:31:51 BST 2010

Dear James,

   I have not been at all reticent -- imgCIF will be very poorly supported
by CIF2 as currently proposed.  Of necessity, imgCIF changes encodings
internally -- that it why it uses MIME -- same problem as email with
images, same solution.

   Any purely text version has at least a 7% overhead as compared to
pure binary.  Restricting to UTF-8 increases the overhead to at least 50%.
We may get away with the 7% (UTF-16).  The 50% version (UTF-8) will be
ignored by the community as unworkable.  The most likely to be used
version will be the current DDL2-based version with embedded
compressed binaries that I am augmenting with DDLm-like features
and merging in with HDF5.

   As I noted many months ago, the unfortunate reality is that the
current CIF2 effort will not merge well with imgCIF.  If avoiding
a split is a important -- we need a meeting.  I would suggest
involving Bob Sweet and holding it at BNL in conjunction with
something relevant to NSLS-II.

   Regards,
     Herbert

         Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY, 11769